http://blogs.dootdoot.com/mike

In late 2009, I built my current desktop, a first generation Intel i7 processor running on a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard. This build combined with my previous NVIDIA GTX 275 continues to serve me well to this day.

Since I’m not using the desktop as much as I used to, I figured I could toy around with it. I picked up a spare hard drive so I could leave my existing setup alone, and went to work playing with OSX Mountain Lion.

My build happens to be on the supported HCL for OSX (which I knew at the time of purchasing, this is a project LONG overdue). I followed a very basic installation guide using UniBeast for Mountain Lion.

Installation of the Operating System was very straight forward, however getting OSX to boot took a little extra configuration.

Using MultiBeast, I had to set a few customization:

No default audio drivers were detected initially, so the Audio Driver was a requirement. Out of box I did have working network access, but I updated the driver anyway. The PCIRootUID and GraphicsEnabler customizations were required for booting once I installed the chameleon boot loader.

I made the mistake of initially setting GraphicsEnabler=No in the MultiBeast configuration, but was able to boot using the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag through the bootloader, and updated the setting in org.chameleon.Boot.plist file but updating the key to:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Without these settings, I would see the apple start-up screen, but when it should switch to the login screen, I was instead greeted with a black screen, and my monitor would go to stand-by mode. At this point all you could do was hard reset the system. Not very friendly.

At this point, OSX is completely usable, but in the system settings my CPU was showing up as a 2.0 GHz system. I updated to the MacPro5,1 profile, which closely resembles my system:

Unfortunately, this did not fix the incorrect CPU speed showing up in the About this Mac dialog box. Although this dialog box doesn’t really mean anything, I still wanted it to show up correctly. This was an easy fix, editing the smbios.plist file in /extra by adding the following key:

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2800</string>

That was it.

I still have some additional tweaking to do, but for now I have a running ‘HackPro.’

Comments

Leave a Reply