Are you a fellow PeopleSoft professional that has been trying to import the delivered PeopleSoft 9.2 images into VMware? Have you previously been using Nicolas Gasparotto‘s guide for HCM and FSCM releases 9.2.001 through 9.2.005 and have found that this process no longer works starting with 9.2.006? Maybe you’ve tried searching and these are the best resources you have found:

Well I’m with you. When Oracle upgraded the VM’s to the newer VirtualBox format starting with the PeopleSoft 9.2.006 images, it broke my previous import scripts. This little message caused a lot more trouble than I expected:

IMPORTANT! You must use Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.8 (or higher) for this PeopleSoft Update Image. Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.3.8 is a maintenance release of VirtualBox 4.3 and is required for this PeopleSoft Update Image

This was the case for both:

I wasted far to much time on tinkering with upgrading ovftools, modifying configuration files, importing and exporting OVA/OVF’s (0.9, 1.0, 2.0), and so-on. All with virtually no luck. After a little tinkering and some digging I was able to find a reliable method of importing the VM to ESXi.

The steps are actually pretty simple, and start off similar to Gasparotto’s original guide:

1. Download the ZIPS from Oracle (use the handy wget script supplied through eDelivery)
  2. Unzip the OVA files from the archive.
  3. Concatenate the OVA files into a single OVA.
  4. Extract the contents of the OVA file using TAR.

Here is where we deviate from the previous guide. Don’t bother trying to edit the OVF file as I’m fairly certain the new VirtualBox format broke more than just the configuration file. The actual VMDK itself is no longer in the correct format. We will need to fix this by cloning the disk using vmkfstools.

1. Create a new Virtual Machine with no disks.
    • The stock VM has at least 6GB of memory.
    • I recommend at least two vCPUs.
    • The Intel E1000 Network Card is a reliable choice.
  2. Upload the 5 VMDK files into the VM folder (or wherever you want your VMDK files).
  3. Use vmkfstools to clone the VMDK file for each VMDK file (Example for HCM 9.2.006 below).
    • vmkfstools -i HCMDB-SES-853-11_disk1.vmdk HCMDB-SES-853-11_d1.vmdk -d thin
    • vmkfstools -i HCMDB-SES-853-11_disk2.vmdk HCMDB-SES-853-11_d2.vmdk -d thin -a lsilogic
    • vmkfstools -i HCMDB-SES-853-11_disk3.vmdk HCMDB-SES-853-11_d3.vmdk -d thin -a lsilogic
    • vmkfstools -i HCMDB-SES-853-11_disk4.vmdk HCMDB-SES-853-11_d4.vmdk -d thin -a lsilogic
    • vmkfstools -i HCMDB-SES-853-11_disk5.vmdk HCMDB-SES-853-11_d5.vmdk -d thin -a lsilogic
  4. Verify that disks 2 through 5 were converted to “lsilogic”.
    • Edit the HCMDB-SES_853-11-dX.vmdk file.
    • Find the line that begins with ddb.adapterType
    • Verify that it says “lsilogic” and not “ide” (Except for disk 1).
    • Note: According to the vmkfstools documentation this “should” work, but on ESXi 4.1, the -a flag didn’t seem to do anything. I had to manually edit the files for disks 2 through 5.
  5. Add the 5 disks to your newly created VM.
    • Verify as you add them that disk 1 is an IDE disk, and disks 2-5 are SCSI disks.
  6. Power on your newly created VM!

That’s it. You have imported the new PeopleSoft Update Image into VMware!

Everything is back to normal.

Comments

15 Responses to “Import PeopleSoft OVA into ESXi”

1. Jonathan Kaufman on July 25th, 2014 2:16 pm

as an FYI for one method that worked for me (we had problems using the suggestion here). We extract the OVA as per normal, then extract the OVF and VMDK files (some zip programs had an issue with the OVA so you want to verify all VMDK’s extract cleanly). We then had to edit the OVF file and Change the VirtualSystemType from virtualbox-2.2 to vmx-07, Change the OperatingSystemSection ovf:id from 109 to 100, Change the ovf:capacity of each vmdk to something absurd like 98GB (100793221120)..you could get away with a smaller size but I was fed up with the deploy failing. So when I deployed it to our cluster, I had it use thin provisioning instead of thick…After these changes I was able to use the VI client to deploy the OVF template to our vsphere 5.1 environment. After the deploy finished, I edited the VM to reflect os type of OracleLinux 4/5/6 64bit and replaced the network with one that worked…and then we were good and all worked well. YMMV.

2. PeopleSoft PUM Images on Linux KVM - Remote PSAdmin on August 21st, 2014 10:36 am

[...] Linux KVM.  If you want to run your images on VMWare, I recommend reading this post on running the images on VMWare.  So lets begin setting up a new PUM image for Linux [...]

3. mike on August 26th, 2014 2:15 pm

@Jonathan Thanks for the heads up. The method I described above continues to work for me in our vSphere 4.1 environment. It’s possible that something else has changed between the two versions.

The one nice thing about this method is that I don’t have to mess with the disk sizes. I’m able to have an exact replica of the delivered Oracle VM.

I’ve successfully tested this method on:

HCM 9.2.006 (HCMDB-SES-853-11)
    FSCM 9.2.006 (FSCMDB-SES-853-11)
    HCM 9.2.007 (HCMDB-SES-853-13)
    FSCM 9.2.007 (FSCMDB-SES-853-13)

I will be attempting the 9.2.008 releases in a vSphere 5.1 environment. It’ll be nice to have the method you described as a backup!

4. Joe on September 12th, 2014 8:37 am

I have tried this method and keeps failing unable to boot up or if I try the original method it only installs the database
    The database will start immediately but no AppServer, Batch server, and PIA shows up ??

5. Mike on September 14th, 2014 8:45 pm

@Joe: If you’re only seeing the database, it sounds like you are missing a partition in your VM.

Verify that all the disks were converted correctly to lsilogic and are being recognized.

6. Joe on September 15th, 2014 8:16 am

with the new method it boots and stops with error on file system check unable to resolve label=ses and wants a root password for maintence mode to continue
    Using the original method all disks are seen bot no appserver or pia

7. Mike on September 16th, 2014 2:00 pm

@Joe: That is interesting. Can you tell me what version of ESXi you are using, and what PSFT application you grabbed, for instance: HCM 9.2.006 (HCMDB-SES-853-11)

8. Joe on September 16th, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks Mike
    ESXi version 5.0.0 1489271

FSCM-920-UPD-008
    FSCMDB-SES-854-01

the ova file I tar and creates 6 vmdk files
    when I upload all 6 disks and run vmkfstools -i it runs on all 5 disks and says the 6th is not valid ?

I used tar from one of our HP UX servers as I can’t seem to tar it on the esx host

9. Nirmal on January 13th, 2015 4:18 pm

Were you able to resolve the issue? I’m having a similar issue with my deployment as well.

ESXi 5.1.0 1235233

FSCMDB-SES-854-05

10. Import PeopleSoft OVA into ESXi (9.2/8.54 update) : dsu | Mike on January 16th, 2015 11:30 pm

[...] May of last year I had posted a method to import PeopleSoft OVAs into ESXi. This method was an extension of Nicolas Gasparotto‘s guide that worked for releases [...]

11. mike on January 16th, 2015 11:45 pm
  12. David on June 4th, 2015 8:57 am

Good morning Mike and thanks for the guide. I’m a VMware admin and was tasked to spit one of these out for our PS group. I’m trying to piece together the current, correct information. Yourself and Nicolas both posted guides and have updated them so you both have 2 versions and yours was an extension of his. Is there one of these that I can follow end to end as current or could you eliminate and for me that aren’t necessary to reference? I’m trying to flip back and forth to make sure I do it right and my head is spinning a bit trying to track 4 of them. I really appreciate your help

13. mike on June 22nd, 2015 4:15 pm

@David,

I am actually looking to do an updated install myself using the newest 9.2.012 version.

I will post an updated guide once I’ve had a chance to take a look (assuming it’s still possible).

14. Mark on September 24th, 2015 10:24 am

I am looking to install HCM9.2.013 on Vmware. I appreciate the detailed information you have provided so far. Were you successful in importing 9.2.012?

15. mike on December 30th, 2015 10:49 am

@Mark,

So it’s a lot later in the year than I expected to get to this, but I finally got around to testing a new install. It wasn’t an HCM 9.2 install, but rather the December CS 9.2 (PT 8.54.14), and it worked perfectly using my steps in my follow-up post: